News & Announcements:
In the news: Mohawk rec centre taking shape
The Mountain News has this story about the new Mohawk Recreation Centre under construction at the Fennell Campus. The 64,000 square foot centre is expected to open this summer and will offer students three NBA-size basketball courts plus a 14,000 square-foot fitness centre with an indoor running track on the second floor. The rec centre is part of the largest and ongoing campus renewal project in Mohawk's history.
DemoCampHamilton10 this Monday in the Arnie
DemoCampHamilton10 will take place this Monday, Jan. 28 in the Arnie starting at 6 p.m. Organized by Software Hamilton, DemoCamp is an event format that includes a keynote speaker, software demos followed by Q&A, and general socializing with the good company in attendance.
The keynote speaker is Janna Cameron- Usability / Accessibility Specialist @ Desire2Learn. A champion for accessible design in technology, Janna Cameron’s work has been focused on extending the reach of technology to a portion of the population has been inadvertently sidelined. By working closely with developers, designers and engineers to develop a fuller understanding of how people with disabilities use the web, Janna has parlayed a passion for user research into a career that has helped remove barriers to education. She brings a sense of humor and optimism to her work, encouraging others to join her in making the web accessible to all.
Pixel will demo a top-down 2D pixel-art adventure game where you break
things to gather resources for building better items and gadgets
Democravise is a new web app based on the premise that people make better decisions when they ask better questions. We help decision makers crowdsource better questions.
Andrew Blackbourn will be presenting Tilt The Ball a cross-platform HTML5 puzzle game that is currently being developed for the mobile market, as well as some other examples of his hobbyist game creations
OverAir Proximity Technologies Ltd. specializes in Near Field Communication (NFC). Our online store offers a wide variety of high-grade NFC tags to choose from, print on, and even encode actions. Our marketing and enterprise solutions include an innovative portal to dynamically update NFCs, access analytics, and create microsites.
Team Popsicle announces $1,500 in new sponsorships for Popsicle Stick Competition - total prizes now close to $10,000
Team Popsicle has announced that Walters Inc. has given the new "Mayor of Mayhem" the thumbs up with a sponsorship of $1,000 for the Best True Truss and $500 for fourth place overall in the 2013 College Popsicle Stick Bridge Competition.
Walters' sponsorship brings the total prize package for the popular annual event to nearly $10,000.
The big question now is: who is replacing the feared Cap'n Crunch? Team Popsicle is keeping quiet on that one, for now, but promises the mystery will be revealed in a few weeks. Stay tuned.
Register today for Mohawk President’s Dinner with CBC’s Amanda Lang
Registration is now live for the 2013 Mohawk President’s Dinner with special guest Amanda Lang, CBC’s senior business correspondent for The National, co-host of the Lang & O’Leary Exchange and author of The Power of Why. The dinner takes place Thursday, Feb. 21 at 5:30 p.m. at Liuna Station in downtown Hamilton. Proceeds from the dinner will support scholarships and bursaries for Mohawk students. The Mohawk President’s Dinner is sponsored by ArcelorMittal Dofasco, RBC, Scotiabank, L3 WESCAM, The Hamilton Spectator and LiUNA Local 837.
Important notice about replacing your ONE Card
Effective immediately, the cost to replace a lost ONE Card for all students and staff will remain at $25. To replace your ONE Card, please visit The Square at the Fennell Campus, or the Student Engagement offices at the Brantford, IAHS or STARRT campuses.
Payments may be made with cash, debit or credit card only.
ONE Card Tip: Remember to always secure your card after each use.
Events (Jan. 28 - Feb. 3):
Monday, Jan. 28:
- University of New Brunswick Campus Kiosk, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Fennell Campus, C-wing, Upper Level Atrium. Drop by and speak to a representative about credit transfer to undergraduate degree programsat UNB.
- Study Skills @ IAHS: Multiple Choice Exam Strategies. 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in Room 145
- The School of Human Services presents: “The Anti-Bullying Symposium” for the students at the Mohawk-Laurier Centre in Brantford from 9 a.m. to Noon. This event is facilitated by the Red Cross and will focus on understanding and coping with bullying in professional and workplace settings.
- Student Appreciation Day: IAHS Campus, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- DemoCampHamilton10 will take place this Monday, Jan. 28 in the Arnie starting at 6 p.m. Organized by Software Hamilton, DemoCamp is an event format that includes a keynote speaker, software demos followed by Q&A, and general socializing with the good company in attendance.
Tuesday, Jan. 29:
- Study Skills at STARRT: Taking Notes from Lectures and Books. 12:10 p.m. to 12:50 p.m. in A114
- Student Appreciation Day: STARRT Campus, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Wednesday, Jan. 30:
- Student Appreciation Day: Fennell and Brantford Campuses, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 31:
- Acadia University Campus Kiosk, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., Fennell Campus, C-wing, Upper Level Atrium (beside the elevator). Drop by and speak to a representative about degree completion and academic programs at Acadia.
- Tyndale University College & Seminary Campus Kiosk, Time: TBA, Fennell Campus, C-wing, Upper Level Atrium. Drop by and speak to a representative about undergraduate programs and transferring credits to Tyndale.
- CBC Radio's Jian Ghomeshi will be at the McIntyre Performing Arts Centre for a special edition of Q. (SOLD OUT)
Friday, Feb. 1:
- Aboriginal Students @ Mohawk College... Get Organized! Organize Yourself Workshop, hosted by Aboriginal Education & Student Services from Noon to 1 p.m. in A114 at the Fennell Campus
Check out the upcoming events at the McIntyre Performing Arts Centre.
Support your Mohawk Mountaineers. Check out the events calendar for this week’s Mohawk Mountaineers game schedule. All home games are played in the Fennell Campus gymnasium.
Check out the Events Calendar at www.mohawkcollege.ca for an up-to-date list of events on and off campus.
Mark Your Calendar:
Monday, Feb. 4:
- International Welcome Dinner. All new and returning international students are invited to attend the International Welcome Dinner starting at 4 p.m. in the Arnie. Please watch your mocomotion e-mail for sign up details. The dinner is a great opportunity for new students to meet senior returning students and staff.
Tuesday, Feb 5:
- Student Success Fair at the STARRT Campus from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the hallway between the Library and the Student Engagement Office. Learn about what's new in technology apps, library study guides, study skills, adaptive technology and supports for students with disabilities. Enter to win one of two $25 gift certificates from the Home Depot
Tuesday, Feb. 12:
- Meet The Grad/Employer. Attention all Building and Construction Science students, clear your schedules for Tuesday, Feb. 12 from 5 p.m. - 8 p.m. Get your Meet the Grad tickets in room E112 for only 3$ and don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity to meet your possible future employers. For this ridiculously low price you will get food, a chance for door prizes, and the possibility to guarantee your future after Mohawk. So head on over to E112 to pick up your tickets now.
Sunday, Feb 17:
- Blast fundraiser hockey game for Protection, Security and Investigation Program field trip to New Orleans, LA. Tickets are $15 and can be purchase from the Brantford Campus or by contacting professors Mike Pearson at ext. 7124 or Darion Boyington at ext. 7228.
Thursday, Feb. 21
- 2013 Mohawk President's Dinner. Registration is now live for the 2013 Mohawk President’s Dinner with special guest Amanda Lang, CBC’s senior business correspondent for The National, co-host of the Lang & O’Leary Exchange and author of The Power of Why. The dinner starts at 5:30 p.m. at Liuna Station in downtown Hamilton. Proceeds support scholarships and bursaries for Mohawk students. The Mohawk President’s Dinner is sponsored by ArcelorMittal Dofasco, RBC, Scotiabank, L3 WESCAM, The Hamilton Spectator and LiUNA Local 837.
Saturday, March 2:
- 7th Annual Gerald Marshall Benefit at Michelangelo's Banquet Centre, 1555 Upper Ottawa Street, Hamilton. Doors open at 6 p.m. Live band starts at 9 p.m. Tickets for dinner, games and the show are $60 each, $600 for a table of 10. Tickets for music and games only are $30 (doors open at 8 p.m.). For more information or to order tickets contact: Linda Marshall, 905-317-5644; Wayne Marshall, 905-979-2308; Jo-Anne Spadafora, 905-407-0739; or Cindy Butler: 905-975-6697.
Mark Your Calendar/Upcoming University Visits:
Wednesday, Feb. 13 - McMaster-Mohawk Bachelor of Technology Degree Completion Program Common Hour Presentation, Noon - 1 p.m., Fennell Campus, Room i219
Tuesday, Feb. 19 - Study in Australia / KOM Consultants Campus Kiosk, 9:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m., Brantford Elgin Campus, outside the library
Wednesday, Feb. 20 - Study in Australia / KOM Consultants Campus Kiosk, 9:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m., Fennell Campus, C-wing, Upper Level Atrium
Want to get something in Mohawk this Week?
Please send Mohawk This Week news, events and announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put "MOHAWK THIS WEEK" in the subject line of your email. Request must be submitted by 4 p.m. Thursday to be included in the following week's announcements and events.
For daily news, subscribe to Mohawk Matters/The Inside Edition at http://mohawkmatters.typepad.com/mohawk_matters_the_inside/